Tuesday, December 05, 2006

And so we're into the last week of term.

Went for a day trip to Oxford over the weekend. My sentiments before the tour itself was that it would be some old, boring, ancient, uneventful place. I was gladly proven wrong. Hope that you'll enjoy the photos.



The few "nature" shorts of the day.


Kebles College. Faiz and Jerald, our wonderful hosts.





The Natural Science Museum. Some interesting shots I took with some extinct creatures. Ok, I'm not photogenic.


Trinity College. Pity it was closed.


The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I got to listen to them for free!


Ahhh lunch. A humongous Cornish Pasty (pronounced Pahs-tee). The main shopping district of Oxford is in the background.


Heh which is the biggest bird of them all?


A Proton!! The Brits will only settle for the best cars in the world : P


Even when people vandalise, they try to make sense. Such is the high level of intellect in the University town.


The Radcliffe Camera, where people do research on Philosophy and Theology (I think). Entry is apparently for "Members Only".


Bodleian Library. Another "Member's only" place, except for the souvenir shop.



St Edmund's College (or Teddy Hall), where Faiz studies. Haha, in summer, people sunbathe in the graveyard (2nd photo on the left), leaning against the tombstones. Or they just play cricket, using the tombstones as the stumps.


Magdalen College. I think it might have been one of the biggest ones.


Christchurch College, with the (supposedly) magnificent dining hall which the Hogwarts dining hall from Harry Potter was based on in the movie. I didn't see it though.




Zhenqiang, Winston and I sniffed out this little gem of a hill, besides Oxford Castle. By right, we should have paid , but there was no one collecting fees/tickets at the gate leading to the hill, so we just free-rode. It was a good detour from Primark.


Last shot of the day at Oxford: The same shopping street from earlier on, only at night. Really looked pretty with the lights and stuff.

Yea so it was an enjoyable trip. Oxford was a nice little quaint town, with incredible architecture, and yet the entertainment scene was quite happening as well (pubs, lots of university and hall parties, good shopping). It's a really nice place. That being said, I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to survive there for a year. I am a city person after all. Still, it is worth a visit (at least for a day) and I would recommend it to people who have yet to visit the place.

Sunday was "meet some old friends" day.


I met Anu, the mama pro tabla player for lunch. We ate at HK Diner. Had a really satisfying lunch, and a good chat too! Sadly he could not hang around for too long, as he was headed back to Singapore.

I went with some LSE friends to this Postsecret thingy. It initially started when people just needed to find an outled for their secrets. So this Postsecret thingy was started precisely for them. People could write their secrets down on postcards, and send them to this guy in the US. It has since become a huge phenomenon.

A sample. Anyway, YN managed to get the last autographed copy of the Postsecret book. Congrats!



At night, I met yet another long lost friend: Kylash! He's at Imperial now. Great guy he is. House captain, Prom King, OCS Infantry Sword of honour..This guy is one high-flier. Anwyay, dinner was at this kebab restaurant in Bayswater. I wasn't exactly hungry, and I was not expecting much for kebabs, but the wrap I had was surprisingly great! And it was nicely filling too!


Ok another food pic - Pizza. This one I had on Monday from the Pizzeria near my hall. For 3 quid, I got this pizza (7 inch) and a can of coke. Value for money indeed. It was also filling, as the crust was thick. I generally enjoy thin-crust pizza as thick crust ones are usually not cooked well i.e charred on the outside, uncooked on the inside. However, this one had a surprisingly firm crust that was slightly crunchy without being burnt outside, and the inside was properly cooked.

Ok. Enough for now. I think I need to get some rest now (It's 2am). Looking forward to going home!!

G'nite mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home