Friday, November 17, 2006

It is almost the end of the week. While they grey skies have not disappeared (they're probably here to stay), I'm a lot happier these few days!

Thursday did not exactly start on a bright note, pardon the pun, as it was drizzling rather steadily. I made my way to school with my hair soaked, just in time for a Math lecture.

The first notable highlight of the day was a presentation on careers / internships and the application process. It did make me think about my future path (since I'm not bonded) and what I would like to do, at least in the near future. This was when a timely reminder was made, that first-year students should focus on getting good results as it will provide a platform on which we could build on if we chose to apply for internships in the 2nd year. Touching base with the application process / CV writing procedures will be beneficial, but academic results are top on the priority list for now. Of course, the REAL motivation for attending the session was the free sandwiches.

When school ended, I had an hour to spare before my next big thing at 6 in the evening, so I thought I'd go back to my hall with a friend of mine. It was a good walk, where we started talking about religion and what beliefs. Not that I have many, but when she said to me "You seem like a very staunch Catholic.", I wondered how true that was. The person probably did not know me very well, because my faith is something personal to me and which I am not very outspoken about. However, it did make ME wonder in what direction I'm headed in life. I do believe, just that sometimes when I ask questions, I can't seem to find answers. I've sort of reached a "religious inertia".

It was with this reflective, somewhat pensive, mood that I went for the Cathsoc bible session, the second ever in my life. It was a thought-provoking session, where I left feeling a little more comforted. Roberto, this totally cool Italian dude doing a Masters in Philosophy, said something rather profound about Jesus' love which, more than just sounding impressive (at least from a prospective Mathematician's perspective), left me at ease for now. Hmmm, I think I should attend these sessions more often. Conducted in a very relaxed environment, and yet with a high level of mental stimulation.

Anyway, that's about as gloomy as the entry will get! After the session, I went with Justin (the Cathsoc President, who happens to be from Hong Kong), to this gem of a book / comic shop called Forbidden Planet, at Holborn. It was an AMAZING shop, with shelf upon shelf of books, comics, novels and other memorabilia from various animated series. I parted with 8 quid for a Green Lantern poster, which I felt was well worth it.

As Justin and I were walking back, we reminisced about the times when Collector Cards were still popular. It is sad that nowadays, the cards on sale are of the playing type, e.g Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Marvel and all other sorts of playing cards. When I was a decade younger, I used to collect cards, the sort which was collected for artistic value and animation, not the playing type, in the hope of amassing a large collection which could be shown off to anyone who was interested. I can still remember the days when I would take $3.50 with me to the Mama Shop near my old house and buy a packet of Spiderman / Marvel VS Wildstorm cards. I can remember the anticipation I was filled with as I slowly opened the packet, hoping that I would strike lottery in the form of a limited edition Hologram / Chromium card. I can even remember the jubilation and ecstasy I felt when I did indeed strike the jackpot, or the dismay when I discovered that all the cards in the pack were extras (i.e that I already had the type of cards in the packed as I had gotten them when I purchased previous packs). I also remember buying card protectors and carefully placing the cards inside, hoping that each good card would someday find a worthy card holder / frame as it's "protector". My card collection (my pride and joy back then, still is somewhat) is now in my cupboard in my room in Singapore. I hope that the lice / silverfish have spared them. I should invest in some dehumidifiers to keep them in good condition.

For the first time during my stay in London, I patronised Hare and Tortoise, this Chinese-cum-Singaporean-cum-Japanese restaurant near my hall. I bought Chicken Rice for 5pds50. The chicken was good, but the rice was unlike typical Kway Png rice. It tasted like five spice flavoured rice (catch isn't it, Five Spice Flavoured Rice. Could make a rap out of it). Thing is, the takeaway also came with the soup, unlike kopitiams in Singapore where you get no soup if you buy a takeaway. It was on the whole a satisfying dinner.


The Chicken Rice meal, which I successfully transferred from the container (evidently) onto the plate so that it would look a little more presentable.

I have cleared all my assignments for the week, so I set aside some time to make my room look more like that of a young student (well young adult student).




New additions to my otherwise monotonous cell. The decor does make the room look less bare, and the thing is I hardly spent anything on it, except for the crucifix (and the 8quid poster, which I'll show you soon). If you can see the Union Jack postcard on the wall (with the word "London" right down the middle), I actually found it lying on the pavement on my way back, along with several other postcards. Seeing that it was in a decent condition, I picked it up and put it to good use!


Ahh, the 8quid Green Lantern poster! Really does look damn cool, even if it might not be in good shape. Still, you can't tell from the photo can you?

Ok it is a bit late, and I've got a 9am class tomorrow morning. I am well and truly sated for now. If only every day I spent in London could be like that. Alright, I shan't ask for too much. Hopefully my next entry won't be a depressing, sombre piece.

G'nite mate.

2 Comments:

Blogger cyn said...

oioi!
sorry i always pangsehhhhh
:):)
i mean
:(:(
i think u used to it tho alr anw
u could juz beat me up

3:38 PM  
Blogger david said...

Orh purposely one right? Don't like me then say la hahaha...Just kidding.
No worries man. Understand you're a busy person, the most wanted girl in town eh :)
Hope everything's fine man. Cheers!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home