Thursday, October 05, 2006

And so, my first week in London has come to an end.

Life here has been good (pardon the lack of adjectives) and I'm pretty much enjoying it. Some things could be better but I guess I'll refrain from whining.

Ok. The food around here has varying degrees of quality, depending mostly on what one's budget is. The one and only hall dinner I had was, while not the worst thing I've ever had, forgettable. Other than that, most of the stuff I've eaten has been quite superb (and fattening) really, no thanks to my mother and her fellow female partners in crime. Roast duck, salt and pepper squid, tempura, grilled cod, fried prawn noodles...Such are the luxuries that I'll miss when I return. Well, I could still possibly enjoy some of this stuff when my parents are not here, only that I'll get the 3pound version from Waitrose or Tesco's. That's not a bad prospect actually, because the variety of microwaveable meals available can be quite overwhelming.

I have somewhat settled into life here at Hughes Parry Hall. Food and washing machine aside, I have to say that I like this place. I have gotten to know some of my floor mates, and there're lots of fascinating stuff about them. Being an inter-collegiate hall, guys here come not only from LSE but also from other schools / colleges under UOL. Opposite me, there's this guy studying / training to be a sax player at Royal Academy of Music. Then there's this other bloke doing Development of South Asian Economies at SOAS. These are pretty wicked courses to take if you ask me, and I take my hat off to them (well not that I'm wearing one now, bu you get the point) for pursuing a course in something they are SERIOUSLY interested in. In addition, having Brunswick, Russel Square Tube station, cheap restaurants and a few other UOL halls in the vicinity is a big plus point (get the pun?).

One thing I've learnt is not to judge people by their appearances (or books by their covers, whatever). Like the Chinese dude and the Sri Lankan Postgrad student (both coincidentally at LSE) may look like nerds, but they go for CRUSH every Friday night. That's what I call working hard and playing hard. Respect. May we someday blaze the dancefloor at the Quad, even though I totally suck at dancing.

The not-so-good part so far is not being able to know many of the Singaporeans. It was probably because I missed the Freshers Camp, and in all honesty, it is not exactly the most happy of feelings to have. Fortunately, I am gradually getting acquainted with many of my fellow countrymen at LSE. To those whom I've gotten to know, thank you for having made the transition into life here all the more smoother. Of course, I have also gotten to know others through Lectures, Hall mates, Catholic Society etc. No point coming to London to hang out only with S'poreans is it? I'm not an ultra-nationalist or something, though there might possibly be such people around here in London...

Well, I shall be returning to the motherland for two weeks or so, hence I will miss out on all the fun here. And the blog will stagnate for a while I guess. After all the blog address is davidgoestolondon, not davidishavinganoutrageoustimeinsingapore. To my Dear Faithful Readers, stay tuned in 2 weeks time. I'll be back, somewhat with a vengeance muahahahahah. Right.

Cheers. Mate.
(Pardon the monotone of this entry. As you would have already read, I'm not very proficient in blogspeak, so I hope you haven't dozed off reading this)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home