Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It looks like it is going to be an eventful week. In fact, some "events" have already taken place.

LSE kicked-off the Anti-Racism Week with an International Food Fare at the Quad. The highlight was, of course, the variety of delicacies on offer. But what caught the eyes even more were probably the incredibly exorbitant prices. I paid a pound for 3 pineapple tarts. Ok, the tarts were really good, but still, they're only tarts. ONLY tarts. (Hope no one's feels that what I just said is too tart, pardon the pun). Things could only get better, as the price of tarts was later reduced to 4 for a pound, and even later 5 for a pound. Should have waited a little longer eh? Then Wesley and I shared Briyani for 2 pounds. Really minute portion, and the flavour and taste of the rice was, well, negligible. I decided to leave before I got ripped off any more.

Of course, no LSE event would be complete without some weird comments coming from people. One caucasian bloke stared at the Singapore flag and asked his friend "What sort of flag is that?". Another time, I told this other caucasian friend that I would wait for him at the Singapore booth, where the Singapore flag was hung. "What does the Singapore flag look like?" he asked. "Add a moon and five stars to the red portion of the Polish flag" I said. Right. If anyone noticed the boo-boo I made, the moon and stars was supposed to be added to the INDONESIAN flag. Or I could have said something like "Invert the Polish flag, then add the moon and stars to the red portion." The second option would have been better actually, since the caucasian would probably not have known what the Indon flag looks like.

Most notably (for me at least) is the increased breathing space, having gotten this HUGE assignment out of the way. Whew. This tutor (shan't mention his name lest I be prosecuted) of mine, who has been nagging at his class (via email) to complete this big-ass assignment, speaks in an absolute monotone during class. If that isn't bad enough, his class is at 9am in the morning, which means that I have to drag my sleepy self to school and listing to his sleep-inducing voice. Then I realised that he actually does have a sense of humour! Ha! Well, in an email he sent out to us (nagging at us again of course), he actually managed to type a smiley!! How rare is that! Maybe he does have a life after all...But my position still stands: I hate his lessons.

With a little more breathing space now that I have cleared some major assignments, I spent some quality time with a good friend of mine: Youtube. Yes, I know that sounds rather miserable. After all, nobody wants to go out with David :'(. The searchwords of the day was "Cricket" and goodness me, I saw some sublime batting and bowling. Really amazes me how the likes of Brian Lara or Rahul Dravid hit boundaries so effortlessly while I struggling to even make a connection with the bat I'm holding or the ball that's bowled at me. I can only hope to attain 0.1% of their skill level.

London has become much colder, and so I discovered when I did not feel like getting out of bed this morning. For real, lying in bed under the duvet covers was sheer comfort, and I almost could not get up this morning for the hall breakfast. Speaking of hall food, I must say that the general quality of hall food has stabilised on the good side. During the past few days, I have pretty much cleared my dinner plate. Mmm..guess I'll put my bold plans to sharpen my culinary skills at the pantry on my floor on hold.

Another good reason to eat hall dinners is that sometimes, I get to know more people. Today I got to know this Bangladeshi fella (can't remember his name?) who's a muslim. We ended up talking about religion and it's implications on the world today. It was a really deep dinner-table discussion, and I thouroughly enjoyed it. Thanks man, whoever you are, for making dinner so much more thought-provoking.

This week, certain other Colleges under UOL have this thing called "Reading Week", where they don't have to go to school for a week, and instead do their "readings". I wonder how much of a misnomer that is, considering that most of my friends are now away on vacation in Scotland and Holland. Good thing is that LSE finishes one week earlier than the other UOL Colleges, so things even out. Like how a time series graph evens out after the residuals are subtracted from the original data. Right.

I ought to get some REAL work done now. feels like I have been slacking for too long.

Cheers mate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sanjay said...

Or Vera, you could have said "add a moon and five stars to the red portion of the MONACO flag" instead. :)

Hope you're having lots of fun there!

6:07 AM  
Blogger david said...

MAMA!! Thanks for the tag man..good to know people from S'pore actually remember me haha. I'm not doing too badly, somewhat made up for the 2 missed weeks.

Yea hope you and the other 20th people are doing fine too.

See you in december man.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home