Sunday, November 26, 2006

Country road, take me home...Home will be quite soon. Week 8 just came and went. Arguably my most enjoyable week in London thus far.



On Friday, some friends and I went to watch the ULU Chamber Choir perfomr at this Anglican Church near my hall. It was not some huge choral performance or anything, but it was magnificent alright. The final song of the night, Billy Joel's "And so it goes" is still stuck in my head. I think it is the melancholy, something which I can relate to all to often.

I spent Saturday with LSE Cathsoc. We had a retreat during the day at Father Iain's place, the Carmelite Church. It was the ideal location for the retreat.


This was the secret "Life-changing" room Fr Iain was telling us about.




We had a thanksgiving lunch of roast turkey with stuffing, sweet sweet potatoes, M&S chocolate cake and carrot cake. Delightful.


This was one of the team-BUILDING games, where we had to come up with a structure made out of straws and scotch which could support a hymnal within 5 minutes. Sounds like the typical ice-breaker, but it was rather CONSTRUCTIVE. Haha, sorry, the Punster in me is coming back.

I was rather glad to have turned up for the retreat. The crowd was small, but it was a meaningful way of spending the afternoon, engaging in some thoughtful conversation and deep reflection about our faith. At the same time, it was good to get to know other members of Cathsoc much better, Fr Iain included. Definitely more fruitful than stoning at hall or squeezing through the crowds of Oxford Street.

After a cash-saving hall dinner, I spent more time with the Cathsoc! (Albeit a slightly different group). I participated in my first ever Pub Crawl with Cathsoc (and in London for that matter). I meet some of the guys in school, then we started our mini tour. It was understandably a bit weird, since one would not usually put "Catholic Society" and "Pub Crawl" together. I guess it's alright to go out for a few drinks with a group of good mates and enjoy each other's company.

Our first stop was the Poland.


The Polish Bar near LSE.


Polish beer was great! I can't exactly describe it's taste, but it was somehow better than most of the other beers I've had in my life.

The beer got me grooving the cool song that came one - Billy Jean. The place wasn't exactly huge, but it had the atmosphere alright. We hung around for a while more before we left.

The next stop was Scandinavia.


This bar has some really wicked cocktails. Most of them look like ordinary juices and taste rather innocuous, but after you've had them, you'll begin to "feel it", if you can catch my drift.


Mattei and his drink, Longberry. It looks like some plain raspberry drink doesn't it? The glass isn't very big, and it doesn't really taste of any alcohol. In fact, it is quite delicous, so much so that the last time they came here, someone actually finished the drink with a gulp or 2. Right. It has 6 shots of vodka in it. Mattei could handle his drinks though. He's quite a seasoned drinker.


I tried out the Lemon Icicle. Evidently, double straws is the norm of the house. The faster you finish, the more you want, and also the more "in the mood" you feel. It was a good drink. Fortunatly I was still quite steady after my drink. Somewhat high, but steady.

Our final stop for the night was Holland.


Anthony, the cool dude who's shirt was similar to mine, only that his was YSL, and mine was G2000. Really good company.



Duvel was nice and velvety. Mmmm. And this place was playing AWESOME music, like Sweet Child of Mine. The place was filled with loads of, erm, slightly more middle-aged people, but they looked like they were really enjoying themselves, dancing and all.

In an attempt to satisfy my curiosity, I finally went to Portobello Market with ChihChwen and Winston on Sunday. It was a blustery day in the morning, but the rain went away eventually and the sun made a brief cameo.


Portobello Road/Market. You guys might know this, "Portobello Market" was mentioned in some Disney Song! Check it out on Wikipedia or something.

We made our way right to the end of Portobello Market and walked our way towards the beginning of it (i.e Notting Hill Gate station). The "end" of the market was disappointing, with very few sights worth beholding. However, as we neared the "beginning" of the market, our initial sentiments that we had wasted our time disappeared somewhat. There were loads of shops selling antiques (wooden ones, metal ones etc.), funky t-shirts and wall decorations. Winston even got himself a Levi's denim jacket for 20 quid! Alright it was 2nd-hand, but it was the perfect fit for him, and he really looked like DA MAN in the jacket. Fantastic buy indeed. In addition to the sweets, pillow cases and thread we bought from the market.


I tried to take a nice "artistic" shot of Notting Hill Gate Station. Did it appear on the movie Notting Hill? I'm quite certain Portobello Market did. Well, I have not watched the movie, mainly because I don't believe in this soppy mushy bullcrap. Well, I just might if what happened to Hugh Grant in the movie happens to me.

Alright, another long post, another week gone. Here's a "treat" for my Dearest Faithful Readers:


I don't think any of you have ever seen what a hall dinner looks like have you? This was the one I had on Saturday night. It was quite good I guess. Nothing spectacular, but hearty enough to make my heart (and stomach) feel nicely warm.

That's it. I'll try to update soon. I have a jam-packed week to look forward to.

Cheers mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home