Sunday, January 14, 2007

Whew, survived the first week of the Lent Term (presumably named because the Season of Lent begins midway through the term).

It was honestly a fairly decent week. It felt, in a strange way, kind of refreshing to once again attend classes. Well, some of them. It was rather mentally stimulating, though many might beg to differ.

Alright, as the new term begins, I figured it would be fitting to kick-off with some long overdue photos of the vicinity of HPH.


Marchmont Street, which is the road leading up to my hall (when I am walking back from LSE at least)


China House!!! The restaurant which sells 3 pound 50 Chinese takeaways!! You've heard me rant about it, you've seen the dishes the place serves, now you have seen the place itself!!! Haha..


Now, would you ever see this in Singa-land? For the record though, I have never stepped inside, lest I get mistaken and hit on. Pardon the homophobia, it's just the way I am.


Cafe Valencia. Sells pretty good burgers and kebabs. For the times I need a hot snack, and a mere sandwich won't do.


Russell Supermarket. Usually get my breakfast from there for Sunday mornings, when I need to go to church early.


Mabel's Tavern. An Arsenal fan base in it's own right, though I've watched some Man Utd matches there too (and not against Arsenal anyway).


Cartwright Gardens, the small garden with Tennis courts in front of my hall.


John Cartwright, former Brit Politician.


The stairs leading to the entrance of HPH.


View from the corridor window on my floor. The spire thing in the distance is the King's Cross Saint Pancras Train Station. Not very far really. And yes, it was sunny that day.


View from my room.

Honestly, for all the crap I might say about my hall, it is really a marvellous place. Firstly, the location is relatively safe. At least we don't get broken into, or have unwanted strangers sleeping in our TV room for months on end before people find out. Also, Brunswick Centre, Waitrose, a 24 hour Tesco's, and all the other stuff mentioned above. Geographically speaking, it is also fairly near LSE, Oxford Street and other main areas in Zone 1 of London.

Meeting the guys from Cathsoc once again was a real blessing indeed. As usual, we had Wednesday Mass, then food after that. Marie brought some Galette's from France. Les Galettes is something eaten around the Feast of the Epiphany. It tasted really awesome, some kind of almond cake pastry. Inside each was a small plastic figurine. Whoever got the figurine would be king for the day. And I'm not sure whether it was coincidental or part of the plan, there were 3 cakes and hence, for the day, there were "They three kings".


Of Orient they are. But why is Father Iain looking so fierce?

Finally found some reason to visit the Brit Museum near my hall. I'm frankly not a museum person. Still, it was a fascinating experience nonetheless. It was not solely about British exhibits, mind you. There was stuff from all over the world, and almost all ages. Greek Egyptian, Asian, African etc. And what was particularly satisfying, was looking at certain exhibits that were partially destroyed and be able to explain why they were how they were, e.g when certain sculptures were severly weathered. Brought back fond memories about the formation of Granite, Sandstone, Limestone, Chemical Weathering, Carbonic Acid...Ahh, such was the marvels of this wonderful subject called Geography. Fair enough, I still prefer Mathematics, but Geography was just amazing. Mind-blowing. A special thanks to my wonderful Geog Teachers in JC, Miss Lian and Mr Pang. Oh, and thanks Amanda for giving me a reason to visit the place!! Will make sure I go back someday to get the 2 pound souvenir wine. Yes!! Well at least I hope I saw the price tag correctly haha.

Sunday was a cracker of a day. First was the news that I did not make it to the Cricket team. Truth be told, it was expected, and I was not disappointed. Still, I hope the team Captain gets some Social Cricket going, cos I think it's really fun.

It felt at home to be at Newman House once again, attend mass with loads good music (a rarity in London) and meet up with loads more friends.

Sunday night saw me finally get to see where my culinary skills truly stood. Yan Neng and I, having made up our minds that we were quite sick of hall food, decided to make good use of the Kitchen-Pantry on the 7th floor (my floor) of HPH. The menu of the day consisted mainly of simple dishes that brought back poignant memories of the times we gathered at our own dinner tables with our respective families. Home-cooked food is what you call it. It was a bit nervous preparing dinner, having not touched a frying pan or a pot for quite some time. Thankfully, everything turned out fine. Not exactly according to how I expected the dishes to be, but still quite good for dinner. Ahh, home-cooked food....


Yan Neng's Cabbage and Tomato soup with shrimps. Seriously, I never knew a soup so easy to prepare could be so marvellous!!


Shrimp Omelette.




Three shots of my "Stir-fried diced chicken breast with capsicums and onions", or simply "Stir-fried Rainbow Chicken" haha. You decide which shot is the best.

The last 2 dishes I prepared. I thought the dishes were pretty good and hearty. No self-praise intended of course =P. What I would call "Ordinary dishes, extraordinary meal".


Well, I guess things are starting to look brighter once again. The sun's hogging the sky a lot more these days and sets later, and there's a lot less wind. Spring time is coming!

Right. Time to brace myself for the week ahead.

G'night mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home