Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The euphoria experienced from the day before has subsided, and I have been brought back down to Earth. With a sickening THUD.

Sigh, the first day of school was no mean feat, especially keeping in mind how Mondays are the heaviest days of the week (with all 3 Abstract Math lessons). I have noticed that lots of people have yet to get into the term-time groove, which is not a funky dance move by the way.

With the New Year and the New Term comes other new items, such as new lecturers. All I can say is that it will be a mammoth task keeping up this term, if you get what I mean.

I tried a "Singaporean" fried dish for the first time in London. Singaporean Fried Rice. If you patronise any decent Chinese restaurant in London, Singaporean fried rice / noodles just means the normal fried rice / bee hoon flavoured with curry powder. The concept might actually sound weird, but the fried rice I had actually tasted surprisingly good. Just a little to salty though.

I have noticed that most Chinese restaurants in London do not serve good rice, even restaurants which serve good dishes. Thr rice is often too wet and not fragrant. I generally prefer my staple dry and a bit grainy. Basmati rice is an excellent example of how rice should be cooked. Full credit to the Indians when it comes to preparing rice man.

And of course, the first day of school, the last ever cricket trial in LSE. It was, again, ok-ish. I learnt that one should NOT field using his legs. Was hit twice by cricket balls travelling at a considerable speed. Gosh, that hurt. Bowling was not too bad. Got hit all over the park, but at least I did get one wicket. Just imagine...

"And here he comes, bowling over the wicket, it's a full delivery, AND IT STRIKES THE LEG STUMP! Off come the bails, and the batsman is headed back to the pavilion. Great piece of bowling there, and the batsman departs, bowled Vera!"
(Then, this is where the home crowd erupts with ecstacy).

As you can tell, I like to imagine myself as one of those really prolific bowlers in the world of cricket. I can imagine the elation whenever a wicket the stumps are struck, or when the umpire raises his finger at an LBW / Caught appeal.

Yes, I got a bit carried away there, but it was the only bright spot in a day filled with gloom, so you'll understand. I know where I stand, and someone of my incredible calibre will obviously not make the team. Yes, incredibly crap calibre.

Alright, it's time to hit the books. Expect another sickening THUD. Hah.

Cheers mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home