Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's the end of yet another hectic week, and week 3 beckons.

Same old, same old. I guess I have gotten used to the routine of schooling and studying, and trying to have fun in between. Life's ok I guess. Nothing really to complain about, yet nothing worth really being excited about.

Wait, I DO have stuff to complain about. For the first time in 20 years on Planet Earth, I was stuck in a bloody lift! Can you believe it? It all happened on a Tuesday evening, at Hughes Parry Hall. After dinner, I entered the lift with 4 other people and pressed the floor buttons. However, once the door shut, the elevator did not move, and we were stuck inside for almost 20 minutes. Needed the bloody Fire Brigade to come rescue us. Right. And they say that a hero will save us...

It was more of an irritating rather than frightening experience, mainly because I had work to do then. Still, the breath of fresh air we inhaled upon being rescued was very much welcome.

Then on Thursday, some really strong winds (almost literally) blew the house down. Crap, my hall and the surrounding area was blacked out for about 12 hours, from 9 in the morning till 9pm. Insane stuff. It all started when I realised that my ceiling light and lamp were getting dimmer...Then after a while, the internet connection went off too. Fortunately, I was about to leave for school then. Only problem was I had to take the stairs.

In the evening when I got home to collect some stuff, the ptich-blackness of the vicinity was quite overwhelming. Never knew I would live to see a day when I would be engulfed in absolute darkness. Well, I guess I did experience something like that in Singapore before, but it was never this bad. Turns out, the winds blew up to 99 miles per hour, and the total damage caused cost millions of pounds.

I hope, though, that the lift will be repaired soon. Well my hall has always had problems with elevators. Last term, one of the two was perpetually spoilt. That's stilll not so bad. Now that both of them are down (pardon the pun), I have to take the stairs. Well, 7 storey's isn't that tiring a climb, but try doing it 5 times a day. Like for laundry alone I made 3 trips to the basement and up. Best thing was, the maintenance crew doesn't work on weekends. Swift and efficient indeed!

That night, my hall served chilled dinner. Just as well, then, that I was not eating at hall that night, because I had a Japanese/Korean "Buffet" dinner to attend. I paid 6 pounds for it, and in the end it was not really satisfying. Some sort of buffet, well I only managed to go for one round before everything was finished. The food tasted ok, though it was cold. Largely unsatisfying. Fortunately, the bar was open and the pint of Stella Artois made up for it. Also, a hilarious conversation with this Chinese bloke made the dinner experience all the more lively. I realised how shitty my spoken mandarin was.

I watched a musical put up the the Singapore Playhouse London (SPL) on Friday. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much for 8 pounds. And the theatre pretty much said it all. The people in the play had marvellous voices, but the sound system did them no justice when it made them sound muffled. Still, it was a good maiden attempt at a musical. Well done guys!

Saturday consisted of finishing a Math exercise, as well as visiting my good pal Miguel's place Netherhall, which is the Opus Dei Residence in London. Some of you might have read of it before. It set nicely in a quiet and serene district, ideal for the life of contemplation and meditation. The general feel of the hall was cosy and the facilities were quite awesome too.


Miguel's room. He pays 140++ pounds a week, and this includes breakfast, dinner and people to help do laundry. Pretty awesome, and there's a direct bus to LSE.



Shots of the Chapel. It was a really beautiful chapel indeed.


The chapel taken from upstairs, where the choir and organist are. On the right of the photo, there's a picture of the founder of Opus Dei, Saint Josemaria Escriva


There were people playing soccer here just before the picture was taken. In fact this place can be used for basketball or even cricket!!

In addition to this, there was this wonderful auditorium that hosted all sorts of events from seminars (there was one on Medical Ethics chaired by Cardinal Cormac last December), Rock concerts, plays and musical performances. Cool aight. I might consider staying there next term.

Alright. Time to work. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. Such as the beginning of a new week.

Cheers man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home