Friday, February 15, 2008

Xin Nian Kuai Le!! (Happy New Year!!)

My sincere apologies to those DFRs who have diligently checked www.davidgoestolondon.blogspot.com everyday without fail in anticipation of an exciting, picture-filled entry. You shall be somewhat rewarded this time. While I can't guarantee an exciting entry, I can guarantee nice pictures!

Just a week ago, I was back home in the motherland for Chinese New Year (CNY) celebrations. Patrons of this website would remember how I flew to Singapore and then flew back within the space of 3 days last year. This time, I made sure I stayed longer in Singapore. I decided that lectures and classes were not as important as spending CNY with my family at home and indulging in those wonderful New Year goodies.

This year being the year of the Rat, I thought I'd get a photograph of two well-dressed rodents to decorate this entry.

I think they look like the perfect couple. They have indeed survived the demands of the rat race that is life.

Anyway, since the second-most important part of CNY is eating (the most important being receiving red packets filled with cash), I thought I'd share (not literally) with you some of the stuff we had for our reunion and CNY dinner.

Yu Sheng. The must-have fish salad. I really miss having this.


Ooohh roast pork. Family's secret recipe. Not quite like what we get in HK style roast meat places. Just look at the crispy layer on top.


My aunt's baked chicken, with marinade somewhat like that of a korma. This dish appeared on our CNY menu a few years back, and it has become quite a favourite ever since.


Taking a break from food images, this is something I've not played with in a long time - sparklers! Well firecrackers are banned in Singapore, so the next best thing would be these "hand-held fireworks". Nowadays they even come with a "wheeeeee" sound when we light them. Genius. (PS I know I look like some small kid in this photo, but I couldn't help it. I was, after all, playing with sparklers.)

Festivities aside, I had time to do some of the stuff I would usually do when I go back, namely eat some more. Well in this case I didn't have the time to go to places for Char Kway Teow / Hokkien Mee (most of these places were closed anyway), but I did have time for Mr Teh Tarik.


I had two cups of my favourite iced milk tea when I was back. Mmmmmmm.

All good things had to come to an end eventually, which explains why I am blogging from chilly London. So I leave you with some pictures of fancy-looking coffees I have had so far. These are not only for viewing pleasure, they helped warm me up whenever the weather got really miserable.





I shall try to blog more regularly in future.

1 Comments:

Blogger ecneralc said...

dude! the roast pork and baked chicken look fantastic man!

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home